Friday, November 6, 2009

500 days of summer has an excellent soundtrack

This post will contribute to the reason that men do not ask women out. Because they ask a girl out, take a chance and then the girl posts on her blog how ridiculous the whole thing was and then seeks advice on how to tactfully tell the person "um yeah- so not interested. YOU'RE not interesting to ME. And WHAT THE FUCK makes you think I'd be REMOTELY interested in watching a football game with you? I don't think it's cool that the only fun you claim to have these days involves 'putting your life on the line,' I don't like your somewhat superior attitude that involves putting people down and calling them 'stupid' and I'm just...I can do better. I leave the country in about two months and uh...you're not the kind of souvenir I want to take back to the States with me. Thanks."

Two things you can take from the above statement:
1) I'm vicious/a snob 2)Tact isn't my strong suit.

So here's the story:
I volunteered at the Norm theater tonight (like I do every Thursday)
and there was a guy working there who had on this really funny T-shirt (something about being vague but I can't recall exactly what) and he was working the box office position- which is a very isolating position, so there wasn't any interaction between him and I. I wasn't going to watch the first film (I had a paper to work on) so I leave and he walks out with me because he had something else to do as well. On the way out he asks me my name- we make small talk, etc. etc. I stop at a work/study space in the student union building (the Norm is in the basement) and sit down to work and he leaves.
About five minutes later- he reappears with Starbucks in hand saying he's got a few minutes before his next bus comes. so we start talking. He studies mechanical engineering here at UBC, is roughly the same age as me and has heard of Santa Cruz. (I learned a little bit about his family and other stuff- I was more anxious to get to work on my paper). After about thirty minutes he leaves.
I return to the Norm to do the second film in my shift 500 Days of Summer (I liked it) and he came back for his shift with a tin of chocolate cupcakes. They smelled super good but I politely refused because my tummy is all kinds of funky (I think I may have to begin a painful divorce from cheese- more on that later). When the film started the floor manager took over the door so that I could go in and see the film (usually you have to wait fifteen minutes after it starts to make sure the rude-ass laggers get in) so I go in and sit down on my own. About twenty minutes into the film homeboy comes in and sits down next to me.
Him: "Do you like the film?"
Me: "Yeah. It's funny" *refraining from launching into a feminist textual analysis about certain forms of representation.
HIm: [passes me a popcorn bag]
Me: (whispering) "What's this?"
Him: (whispering back) "A note."
Me:  (sort of a whisper) "A note!? You gave me a note to read in the dark!? I can't read a note in the dark" (proceeds to tilt the popcorn bag towards the screen in an attempt to read it)
Note: "If you''re not doing anything tomorrow it would be nice to hang out with you. Call me *insert phone number and name here*"
Me: "Oh."[awkward silence] "Thanks"[awkward silence 2] "I don't have a phone. Like...seriously I don't have a phone in Vancouver." 
Him: "I'll give you a quarter."
Me: "No- that's okay I think I can find a quarter." (payphones are still prevalant and functional here in Vancouver)
[several moments pass and at some point he makes it known that he is going to leave]
Me: "I'm busy tomorrow but I'll call you before Sunday." (to tell him that I'm not interested because it seemed awkward to tell him in the theater- because uh...he could just want to hang out like- as friends...or something)
Him: "great. we can watch a football game together or something."
Me: "uh...have a good weekend."

....yeah....all my social conditioning tells me that his interest isn't platonic...social conditioning and vanity.

Prior to volunteering I had had a LOVELY conversation with Andy about all kinds of stuff. He watched me hoover down a slice of pizza while we discussed Tarantino films. Andy doesn't like cheese, but I forgive him because he has a feminist conciousness. *wink*

Which brings me to the possibility that I may need to leave cheese- I've noticed as of late that my tummy and entire gastro-intestinal tract become  uncomfortable when I eat cheese. I'm not sure if this is something related to the flu that makes me feel bad for a few days and then I'm fine for a few and then back to feeling less than good for a few days (this thing that's been around for about three weeks now). It could also be that maybe I'm developing a lactose intolerance to large amounts of dairy. Today I had a quesadilla stuffed with sauteed veggies for lunch that made me feel...bad. And then the pizza for dinner kind of did the same thing. I'm not sure. bleh.

Classes are going pretty well. I got one of my midterms back today- I got an A. *yay* And another one of my midterms I got back last week- it was a B. But I totally turned in a B paper. I have to finish editing the midterm that's due tomorrow afternoon I don't know how I'll do on it. I had written a really good essay on my iBook but when i went back to edit it the screen is not turning on so I've had to attempt to replicate it and...it's just a bit sloppy. I got a 24 hour extension on it (it was actually due today) but I don't think it's going to be a very good paper. :( It's not worth much for my grade but still.

I have a full weekend of work and research and stuff to do- I hope I have the energy and inclination to do work and can stay focused.

No comments:

Post a Comment